Unexpectedly, I was able to team up with an awesome developing studio, Offpeak Games, who made Valiant and Arcane for VR on Steam. We all got together and started brainstorming about a possible VR game. We came up with project: Crazy Fishing.
This project started slowly. Both studios had other stuff to manage and it was more of something we worked on in our free times and just chipped at ideas slowly. A few months later, we are finally going into it and the game is getting some amazing reception.
What we have learnt so far?
Our Crazy Fishing Game has taught me one thing for sure – it’s nice to work on a game that doesn’t involve wave based shooting. I think I’ve just seen too many lately, and it’s a great change of pace.
- Reddit is a great community – we want to be more involved and have started to really look at all the different avenues we can without spamming too much.
- Keep on top of emails – making sure we write down all the stuff testers want and keeping track of their ideas in the game. Some of them have been absolutely fantastic and I think we got to put them in the game somewhere!
- Using the lessons I learnt from Pen Island VR to mange things better. I think the game was too crude and Crazy Fishing shows a good balance of humor while implementing a good fun mechanic.
- Google forms are amazing.
- Really spell things out to people if in doubt – not everyone will understand what an Alpha testing game is, let alone how the game is played. Let them know – they will appreciate that better.
- Mail Chimp is good (but I might have to consider something to mange the testers).
- Steam have been great, and Chet has been super helpful with starting our Steam stuff going!
- Don’t look like a marketing company – people hate it. Although we are simply posting about our stuff, we are slowly slipping from being ‘indie’.
Current State of the Crazy FishingGame:
We are currently working with our Alpha testers (you can sign up here as we slowly send the keys out), to figure out the core part of the game mechanic. The aim is to replicate fishing, but also make fishing FUN. Also…we don’t have enough Crazy in the game. Seriously, not enough at all. We need it to be an insane fishing game.
What is next for Crazy Fishing?
- More freaking crazy.
- Less bugs, more actual bugs in the game ideally.
- More art works, and a good explanation to the community!
Hope to update you guys more soon!